Basic Red Wine Vinaigrette Recipe
Makes about 3/4 cup
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey (raw and local is best)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced (use a garlic press – it’s easy and extracts maximum flavor)
1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt or sea salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil
Mix ingredients together in a small mason jar. Cover, and shake well. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. If it’s too acidic, add an additional tablespoon of olive oil or water. Store in the refrigerator for up to 7-10 days. Since olive oil congeals when cold, be sure to take dressing out of the refrigerator 20 minutes before you need it and shake before using.
* Greek: Add 1 teaspoon dried oregano and an extra clove of garlic.
* Lemon: Sub 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice and 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar for the red wine vinegar. Add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest.
* Sesame Ginger: Sub rice vinegar for the red wine vinegar, omit Dijon and add 1-2 teaspoons chili-garlic paste. Reduce olive oil to 6 tablespoons and add 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil. Add 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger.
* Apple Cider: Sub apple cider vinegar for red wine, and add 1 tablespoon minced chives.
* Italian: Add 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and an extra clove of garlic.
* Raspberry: Sub white wine vinegar or raspberry vinegar for the red wine. Add 1/4 – 1/2 cup fresh (or thawed) raspberries and puree in a blender. Taste and add an extra tablespoon of honey, if necessary.
* Balsamic: Sub balsamic vinegar for the red wine and add an extra clove of garlic