- 4 free-range eggs, separated
- 200 g sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter, plus extra for greasing
- 140 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 naartjies, zested
- cinnamon sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Combine the egg yolks, sugar and butter and beat until pale and creamy.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and fold into the sugary egg mixture with the milk. Add the vanilla paste, cardamom and naartjie zest. Beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the mixture.
3. Line a deep, 25-cm baking tin with baking paper and pour in the mixture. Sprinkle with a good dusting of cinnamon sugar, then bake for 1 hour, or until almost set with a lovely golden crust. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, then refrigerate until set.
Pair with coffee and white chocolate