For the marinade and glaze
- 100ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
For the waldorf salad
- 2 heads Baby Gem lettuce, separated into leaves
- 1 apple, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped chives, plus extra for serving
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Put the vinegars, honey and thyme sprigs into a bowl; mix well. Tip half the mixture into a large bowl. Add the quails, turn to coat, then cover and leave to marinate for at least 1 hr.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat a griddle over a medium heat, then cook the quails in batches for about 5 mins on each side until nicely charred. Once ready, place them in a roasting tin, then roast for 5 mins. Leave to rest for 5 mins, then brush over the remaining marinade.
- For the salad, arrange the lettuce in 6 Martini glasses (or small bowls). Put the remaining salad ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Divide among the glasses and sprinkle over the extra chives. To serve, divide the quails among 6 plates and serve each with a salad.