- 2 1/2 cups flour
- salt, to taste
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- vegetable oil, enough to deep fry
- caster sugar, to dust
- seedless raspberry jam, or similar
- whipped cream
Preparation:15min › Cook:20min › Extra time:30min rising › Ready in:1hour5min
- Sift together the flour, sugar and salt. Put the yeast into the milk. Rub the butter into the flour then add the milk and yeast mixture. Combine and then knead until smooth. Divide into buns. Leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil to 180 degrees C. Place the caster sugar in a shallow dish.
- Deep fry each bun, turn if required so light brown all round and cooked through to the centre; about 3 minutes total. Immediately drain and roll in the caster sugar.
- When cool, slice almost through, spread with jam, then add cream just before serving.