Heavenly bites of a traditional favourite.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Skill level: medium
Makes about 45
5 x 250 ml (1 kg) sugar
500 ml water
2 ml cream of tartar
2 ml salt
1 small piece fresh root ginger, peeled
1 small piece lemon peel
45 ml fresh lemon juice
625 ml (350 g) Snowflake cake wheat flour
15 ml Snowflake baking powder
3 ml salt
60 g butter or margarine
1 extra-large egg
125 ml water
15 ml fresh lemon juice
cooking oil for deep-frying
1. Syrup: Combine all ingredients in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool. Refrigerate, preferably overnight.
2. Dough: Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Rub in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Whisk egg, water and lemon juice together. Add to flour mixture, cut in with a knife and knead lightly to a soft dough.
4. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
5. Roll dough into heaped teaspoon-size balls. Heat oil in a small, heavy-based saucepan. Deep-fry balls in hot oil, turning constantly, until golden brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and immediately drop into ice-cold syrup. Place on wire racks. Refrigerate for a few days before serving.
– Cut the dough into 6 x 9 cm strips and plait to make traditional koeksisters. Makes about 30.