Malva pudding is the ultimate winter dessert. It is rich and syrupy, with a soft spongy texture. Comfort food at its best.
- ½ cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) apricot jam
- 1 cup (250 ml) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ teaspoon (7 ml) bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) boiling water
- 1 cup (250 ml) cream
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) butter
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C. Butter an oven-proof dish (the dish needs to have a volume of 2.75 litre).
- Beat sugar and egg together.
- Add vinegar and apricot jam and beat well.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Mix into sugar, egg, vinegar and jam mixture.
- Mix bicarbonate of soda with milk. The last step is to stir the milk and bicarbonate soda combination, into the mixture.
- Pour in baking dish
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour in a moderate oven of 160°C, until cooked through.
- Prepare syrup shortly before removing pudding from oven
- Heat sugar, water, cream and butter, while stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Boil together for 5 minutes, add vanilla and pour the boiling syrup over the pudding after removing it from the oven.
- You can return the pudding to the oven for approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve with cream, ice-cream or custard.