for the fishcakes
- approx. 500 grams cold mashed potatoes
- 418 grams tinned salmon (preferably organic)
- 15 grams unsalted butter (melted – if the mashed potato hasn’t got any butter in it)
- 1 fat pinch of cayenne pepper
- grated zest of ½ lemon
- 1 large egg
for coating and frying
- 2 large eggs
- 100 grams matzo meal (preferably medium)
- 50 grams unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, and preferably with your hands, mix together all the fishcake ingredients.
- Cover a baking sheet with clingfilm, plunge your hands back into the mixture and form fat, palm-sized patties. Place these on the baking sheet and stand in the fridge to firm up for about 20 minutes to an hour – or considerably longer if that helps.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow soup bowl and sprinkle the matzo meal onto a dinner plate. One by one, dip the fishcakes into the beaten egg and then into the matzo meal, sprinkling and dredging over as you go to help coat them. When you’re all done, put the butter and oil in a large frying pan, heat till it begins to fizzle and then fry the fishcakes on each side until the crusts are golden, and speckled brown in parts, and the soothing centres are warmed through.
- by Nigella